Filled with dark chocolate chunks… this truly is: The Best Vegan Banana Bread, EVER!
vegan || paleo || gluten-free || dairy free || egg free || soy free || cane sugar free || nut free
Finding a vegan banana bread recipe, which is actually healthy (aka paleo, but without the eggs), is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I’d be impressed to know if you can find one! From what I’ve found, many online vegan recipes, contain wheat/gluten, refined cane sugar, nuts and/or eggs – which leaves one to wonder: What to do!?
What I did was to make my own recipe and luckily for you, it’s here to share!! This is the Best Vegan Banana Bread Recipe and it’s the best because of these ingredients: I’ve used buckwheat flour and tapioca flour in place of wheat flour and Natural Delights medjool dates, (not to be confused with dried dates) and bananas for sweetness and a little bit of raw chocolate too!
Natural Delights medjool dates are packed with potassium and have an undeniable caramel flavour and chewy texture. I’ve used nine medjool dates in this recipe, completely omitting the need for added sugar. Instead of egg, I’ve used Chia Seeds mixed with water. Chia seeds are super high in fibre and are the glue that binds the batter together.
This Vegan Banana Bread is just divine and is loved in our house by toddlers, children and adults alike!
Makes: 1 loaf
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1-1.5 hour
- 2 mixing bowls
- loaf tin
- measuring cups and spoons
- wooden spoon and spatula
- 3 tbsp chia seeds, mixed with 1 & 1/4 cup filtered water (stir periodically while it thickens for 10 mins)
- 3 bananas
- 9 Natural Delights medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 80g block dark chocolate, roughly chopped (Try Aussie vegan brands like: Pico Chocolate, or Loving Earth)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean powder
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 extra banana to garnish (optional)
- Preheat a conventional oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Add the chopped Natural Delights medjool dates and stir to combine.
- Once the chia seed and water combination has thickened, add to the bananas and dates and keep stirring.
- Add the chopped chocolate and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: buckwheat flour, tapioca, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Gently add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture. Fold gently to combine. Do not over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined loaf tin, garnish with the extra banana, then transfer to the oven.
- Cook for 1 & 1/4 hours or until firm and lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving at room temperature.
Store your Best Vegan Banana Bread, in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Other Banana Bread Recipes by I Heart Scratch
Other Banana Bread recipes I’ve posted over the years can be found here. But if it’s the chocolate you love about this recipe, then you might also love this Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread recipe – it uses eggs and is considered Paleo. Altnernatively I have another gluten free Vegan version which omits the chocolate. The chocolate can be a bit strong for really tiny little people!