http://iheartscratch.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/DSC_0797.jpg 853 1280 Catherine Noonan /wp-content/uploads/2014/03/iheartscratchlogo2.png Catherine Noonan2017-12-20 16:10:262017-12-20 16:10:26CHOC COCONUT TRUFFLES
Nut Free, Vegan Balls of Coconut Goodness ~ Choc Coconut Truffles
I make these Choc Coconut Truffles quite often – they are so easy and quick to prepare and they put smiles on the smallest and sweetest little faces as well as big people too! The key ingredient is dried coconut flesh – both desiccated and shredded will work, so long as it is preservative free it is perfect for the job. Check the ingredients label, you’ll notice that cheaper brands do contain preservative 220.
These Choc Coconut Truffles are sweet, thanks to some nutritious Natural Delights Medjool Dates, not to be confused with dried dates. Natural Delights Medjool Dates are packed with potassium which makes them a great post-workout snack! When refrigerated, they are perfectly firm, thanks to some healthy-fat, being coconut oil, which also boasts antiviral properties.
Choc Coconut Truffles make a great kid-friendly alternative to Christmas rum balls too. My two year old loves them! I hope you enjoy them!
P.S. If your looking for Christmas Rum Balls for the adults – try adding 1-2 tbsp of Rum and also check out these recipes:
Makes: 15 Choc Coconut Truffles
Preparation time: 5 to 10 minutes
Chilling time: At least 4 hours
- Food processor
- Measuring cup and spoons
- 3 cups shredded or desiccated coconut (preservative free)
- 12 Natural Delights Medjool Dates, (not to be confused with dried dates)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (start with one and add the second if required).
- Remove and discard the seeds from the Natural Delights Medjool Dates and set aside.
- In the food processor, add the shredded coconut, cacao powder and vanilla powder. Blitz until a fine meal is formed.
- Add the Natural Delights Medjool Dates and the coconut oil, blitz until well combined. The mixture should easily mould when squeezed. If it feels dry, add a tiny bit more coconut oil and blitz again. Alternately, if it feels too moist, add some more shredded coconut and blitz until the perfect mouldable consistency is achieved.
- Mould into 12 bliss balls.
Keep your Choc Coconut Truffles in an airtight container, in the refrigerator.