Gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, grain-free
My simple, fresh and healthy Lemon Drizzled Mint & Zucchini Salad with Fresh Chilli & Toasted Sunflower Seeds, is purely as it’s name suggests, without any other ingredients.
For those who are time poor, this salad is ideal as the ingredients are easy to find, inexpensive to buy and it’s quick to prepare.
Best enjoyed at room temperature, you can serve this salad as either a side dish, or as an entree or main-meal with thinly sliced grilled meat, prawns and/or fried tofu tossed through.
Serves 4 as an entree or 2 as a main
- spiral slicer
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 zucchinis
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil (‘cold pressed’ EVOO is best)
- 2 small (or 1 long) red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, firmly packed (Leave the leaves whole, as tearing will cause discolouration)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Heat the frying-pan over high heat, add the sunflower seeds and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes, until toasted. Once toasted, remove the sunflower seeds from the pan and set aside.
- Using the vegetable spiral slicer, spiral the zucchinis.
- Return the frying-pan to high heat and after lightly coating the base of the pan with a drizzle of EVOO, add the zucchini spirals and using tongs, toss for 1 minute. Remove the zucchini from the pan, and set aside to cool.
- Once the zuchinni has cooled and when you’re ready to serve, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, tossing gently until evenly combined. The salad is now ready to serve.
Serve as a side dish or toss through:
- Grilled meat, thinly sliced e.g. beef, lamb, chicken;
- Grilled prawns; and/or
- Fried Tofu
Albeit better fresh, this salad would keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.