Dairy free, contains gluten (oats), natural fruit sugars
I love this recipe which provides calcium from the dried fig, antioxidants from the chia seeds and plenty of long-lasting energy from the banana and organic rolled oats. It’s quick to cook and is the perfect comfort food for a cold, dreary morning too!
This porridge is moist enough to serve without milk, but some extra fresh banana and fresh fig on top is great if you can spare it. The ripe banana and dried fig are non-acidic, generally allergy friendly and provide lots of natural sweetness too. That said, please feel free to add whatever you like.
- Small saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- 1/2 cup organic rolled oats (the courser, the better… stay away from ‘instant’ oat varieties)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 dried fig, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups filtered water
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 spotty (ripe) banana, mashed
- With the exception of the banana, put all ingredients in the small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking and stirring frequently for approximately 5 minutes, or until the oats are tender and the water is absorbed.
- Add and stir through the mashed banana and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately with/out garnishes and optional extras.
- Fresh fig
- Fresh banana
- Chia seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (at Step 1)
- Honey or Maple Syrup (taste it first though- you may be surprised as to how sweet it is!)
- No chia seeds? Omit the chia seeds and reduce water by 1/2 cup
- No dried fig? Try a small handful of sultanas, or 3-4 dried apricot halves
- Can’t get organic rolled oats? Use regular/’traditional’ rolled oats, but remember to stay away from ‘instant’ oats.