gluten free, dairy free, no added sugar
This Paleo Ice Cream Recipe is a great dessert recipe and it’s so simple with only three ingredients, three steps and only three minutes to make. It’s free from dairy and gluten and contains natural fruit sugar only. In short, you can devour it guilt-free!
It’s also one that the whole family can enjoy including babies, provided that your bub is okay to eat nuts.
So how did this one come about? Well it was easy really. You see, I get in trouble from my husband when I buy ‘dessert’ type food. Not because he doesn’t eat it, but rather because he does and “we don’t need it“….. BUT then if there’s nothing there, the both of us find ourselves snooping through the kitchen opening cupboards and doors expecting something that isn’t there, to miraculously appear. Everyone does that right!? So this recipe came about when there was nothing for dessert… So it’s just so lucky that I can perform miracles…this recipe is another fine example of creating something amazing from barely anything at all.
The key ingredient is ripe frozen banana and I emphasise the ‘ripe’, because their natural sweetness is unbeatable and really is the foundation of this easy and healthy dessert. Enriched with raw nut butter and flavoured with vanilla, you can easily stop at that. But I’ve also listed a few other flavour options too such as chocolate, berry, jaffa and spice, just in case you want to jazz it up.
- 2 large ripe bananas frozen*
- 4 tablespoons of nut butter eg. almond, cashew or macadamia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or half a vanilla bean scraped
*Tip: slice your banana before freezing. It will freeze faster and will be easier to process.
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor, or a powerful blender.
- Process the ingredients until a smooth ‘soft-serve ice-cream’ consistency is formed.
- Serve immediately on it’s own, or add a little something extra from the list below.
Change the flavour with these optional extras:
- Spice it up with 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Chocaholic: add 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- Berry Delicious: add 1 cup of frozen berries
- Jaffa: add 2 tbsp raw cacao powder and the zest of half an orange
- Sprinkle or mix through a handful of chopped roasted nuts
- Grate some dark chocolate on top
- Serve with fresh berries or stewed pears
Although it’s best eaten fresh, you can store this ice-cream in an airtight container, in your freezer.