refined-sugar free, dairy free, nut free, wheat free
This low sugarrecipe (think fruit loaf in the form of a ‘cake’!), provides a great opportunity to use a lot of pumpkin in the one go. It requires little less than a quarter of a small Jap (Kent) Pumpkin and the finished product makes for a wonderful snack for adults, children and toddlers alike.
It’s free of added sugar, with all its sweetness derived from the pumpkin (make sure you choose a ripe one with deep orange flesh) and raisins. But if you don’t dig raisins, don’t panic, because you can use any sweet dried fruit such as dates, sultanas, currents or even apricots.
This recipe contains coconut oil rather than butter (dairy) and I’ve added a little cinnamon for flavour too, however, by all means try a little ground ginger and/or vanilla if you prefer.
The flour is wholemeal spelt – hearty and nutritious, it will keep you content until you get that craving for a second round!
Makes: 1 loaf
- Vegetable steamer
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Flour sifter or sieve
- Fork & wooden spoon
- Loaf tin
- 450g pumpkin, cubed (after skin & seeds are removed)
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea-salt
- ½ cup raisins, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup pepitas or sunflower seeds to garnish (optional)
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Steam the pumpkin cubes until tender and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the wholemeal spelt flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sea-salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use a fork to mix the pumpkin, raisins, eggs and coconut oil until a consistent runny batter is formed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter and stir gently with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour the batter in the greased and lined loaf tin and sprinkle with pepita seeds.
- Transfer to the oven, baking for 45-55 minutes, or until firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm straight from the oven or toasted with butter or fresh ricotta cheese; or
- Chill and store slices for your or your child’s lunch box or toddler’s playground snack.
- In an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week
- In the freezer, wrapped firmly in glad wrap, for 2-3 weeks