Sometimes it’s just a little bit fun to have something different for breakfast, morning, or afternoon tea and these pikelets are just the thing to put a smile on your and your child’s face, not to mention your colleagues when you whip up a batch for your work morning tea.
Like any pikelet, these Banana Oat & Almond Pikelets are light and fluffy, however unlike their store-bought contemporaries, they’re nutrient rich and energy packed with the following key ingredients:
- Banana: for subtle flavour and sweetness – you won’t find any refined sugar in this batch. Bananas are also high in potassium, which is required for good cardiovascular health. They also contain magnesium, which is great for energy generation in our muscles too.
- Eggs: for binding – Eggs are a great source of omega-3 fats and have the highest nutritional quality protein of all food sources. Choosing free-range organic eggs will ensure you receive the greatest health benefits.
- Rolled Oats: for filling – Oats contain a protein very similar to gluten, however most people can generally still tolerate oats, which is lucky because they’re so good for us. Oats provide slow release carbohydrate energy and make for a perfect way to start the day.
- Almond Meal: for filling – Almonds contain ‘good’ fat – similar to that found in olive oil and avocados. Almonds are also very high in powerful antioxidant, Vitamin E, which protects our cells from damage, all the while maintaining a healthy heart and blood vessels. Like eggs, almonds are also high in protein too.
So without further adieu, get out your frying pan and spatula and away you go!
- Mixing bowl (large dessert bowl will suffice)
- Non-stick frying pan
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten (with a fork)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup ground rolled oats*
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Sprinkle of sea-salt
*Whiz oats for several seconds in a blender or food processor, until they form a fine meal.
- After mashing the banana and beating the eggs, add all ingredients to the mixing bowl. Stir with a fork to evenly combine.
- In a low to medium heat non-stick frying pan, evenly place tablespoons of the batter, allowing enough room so as not to stick together.
- Allow the pikelets to cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden.
Serve your Banana Oat & Almond Pikelets:
- Topped with Jam – see our Sugar-Free Instant Jam recipe here
- Topped with our decadently sweet and creamy ‘Cream Caramel’ – get the recipe here
Store in an airtight container in your fridge for 2-3 days.
Nutritional Fact Sources
- Eggs: http://www.eggs.org.au/facts-and-tips/
- Oats: http://www.freedomfoods.com.au/healthy-stuff/Oats-and-Gluten-Free-Diet.aspx
- Almonds: http://www.australianalmonds.com.au/trade/australian_almonds/almond_health_nutrition
- Bananas: http://www.australianbananas.com.au/nutrition/potassium