This is a dessert worth dying, or at least holding-out-for as the smooth and creamy chocolate centres compliant the naturally super-sweet dates perfectly. They taste just like caramel and chocolate rolled into one. Think ‘Mars Bar’ and you’ve got the idea exactly. They are truly that good, but so much healthier!
FYI – Fresh dates have the highest fructose concentration of all fruits, so while there is absolutely no sugar within the chocolate centre, the date itself does make up for it.
Depending on how well you trust yourself, it’s probably best not to make these until you know you have some friends lined up with whom to share them. Otherwise be prepared to find yourself admitting that, “whoops, I ate the whole batch”, next time you have a solo night-in on the couch!
This versatile recipe can be made on-the-spot or several days in advance.
- Small bowl & teaspoon
- Ice-cube tray (very innovative!)
- 12 Fresh medjool dates
- 2 tbsp nut butter
- small pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Squeeze and remove the pits from the dates.
- Using your finger, make a hollow in the date, where the pit used to be. Do not pierce the sides or other end of the date if you can avoid it.
- Stand the dates, hole-side-up, in an ice cube tray.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Fill each date with the chocolate mixture – approx 1-2 tsp each.
- Place the tray of dates on a level surface in the freezer, allowing them 1/2 an hour to set before serving.
As the filling contains coconut oil, which has a low melting point, these little treats are best kept frozen until required. They will keep nicely in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. They will not be frozen, but rather, perfectly chewy in texture!