This salad is something I made when I had a lot of nectarines, which I needed to use fast. It’s a great side to grilled meat, particularly pork, which always ties sweetly with sweet fruit – apples too course.
So here it is – give it a go!
- Frying pan
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups torn kale leaves, firmly packed
- 2 fresh nectarines
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Toast the shredded coconut In a fryingpan over high heat. Stir frequently and once lightly golden, remove from the heat to cool and set aside.
- Steam the kale for approximately five minutes or until slightly tender, but still a vibrant green colour. Remove from the heat, run under cold water and set aside in a sieve to drain.
- Remove the kernel and cut the nectarines into approximately 16-18 slices each.
- In a salad bowl, combine the toasted coconut, kale and nectarine slices. Drizzle with the lemon juice before serving.
Serve with grilled pork (Before grilling on a BBQ, marinate four small pork fillets in 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp EVOO* & 1 tbsp maple syrup, salt & pepper)
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- No white nectarines? Use yellow nectarines or yellow or white peaches
- No Kale? Use baby spinach or english spinach