Healthy Blondie Recipe – High protein, low-carb and gluten & dairy free too!
This healthy blondie recipe is gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free. Made with almond meal, raw cacao butter, eggs, coconut oil, tahini and maple syrup, it’s high protein too.
I made this recipe after making a batch of my Easy No-Cook Caramel Sauce. Instead of saving it and pouring it over chopped bananas, I threw it into this healthy blondie recipe mixture instead. It turns out that it wasn’t a bad idea either.
A word of advice
On a separate note, be sure to use 100% maple syrup and not maple ‘flavoured’ syrup. How do you notice the difference? Just read the label. Pure maple syrup has only one ingredient, being ‘maple syrup’, whereas maple ‘flavoured’ [usually ‘flavoured’ is in superfine print] has half a dozen nasty ingredients.
Makes 16 serves
- 20 x 30cm baking tin
- Vitamix Blender, or Food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- 150g coconut oil
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 60g raw cacao butter, roughly chopped
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea-salt
- 3/4 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat a convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a Vitamix Blender or a food processor, whiz the coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, tahini and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
- In a large mixing bowl: add the almond meal, baking powder and sea-salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until evenly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until the batter is uniform in consistency.
- Add the chopped cacao butter and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour into the baking tin and spread evenly into the corners.
- Sprinkle the top with the flaked almonds, patting them down into the top of the batter (to help prevent burning if sitting completely on top).
- Bake for 40 mins until golden and just firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven and use paper towel to absorb any [cacao butter or coconut] oil bubbling on the surface.
- Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- Serve with cream or ice-cream, and berries
- Refrigerate in an air-tight container.