This is the easiest Fruit Free Granola Recipe ever – with only 4 ingredients for the granola itself, it’s the sort of thing you can make at the last minute (or last half hour anyway)… particularly if it’s pouring with rain, you have guests coming for breakfast and it’s just far too hard, far too far and far too early to trek to the shops. This is pretty much what happened to us last weekend.
As I was saying – It was pouring rain in Sydney and after cancelling plans to meet friends out – (it’s just too hard with toddlers sometimes), we invited them to our home instead. So the house was clean already (luckily I’d cleaned for our lovely nanny the day before), all else I had to do was cook something…..from what I had – I was not going out, no matter what. As I said – it was too wet and too hard, not to mention too early.
So I thew together a fabulous savoury dish of sweet potato hash cakes with poached eggs (that recipe will come later) but as a starter, I served this very granola with a berry fruit salad and natural unsweetened yoghurt. I grabbed what I could find, but kept it simple. I excluded dried fruit due to its high sugar content and because I served it with fresh fruit, I saw no need to double up. Anyway, it’s all detailed below – check it out and give it a go – it’s takes 30 minutes max to both prep and cook.
PS – I’ve included lots of alternatives because that’s what this recipe is about- it’s about making something surprisingly amazing out what you’ve got in the cupboard. Work with what you’ve got – it’s the cooking time and method which is key.
- Large baking tray
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut (or flaked coconut)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (or pepitas)
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds (or chopped almonds, hazelnuts or pecans)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey or rice syrup)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla (or cinnamon)
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160 degrees Celscius.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, coconut, sunflower seeds and almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Pour the syrup and oil blend onto the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients is evenly coated.
- Spread the granola onto the lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, until golden.
- Turn the granola (golden side down ~ uncooked side up) on the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Store in an airtight container on your bench top.