I made this Paleo Banana Omelette with Berries the other day and it was just heavenly. It tasted like nothing I’d ever experienced and maybe that’s because it was my first ‘sweet’ omelette. It was just so good and it would be criminal not to share the recipe, which by the way, was so incredibly simple.
This recipe ticks the boxes of: paleo, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free and grain/gluten free. It’s high in protein too and is consistent with the Whole30 eating plan. You can find out more on the Whole30 by clicking here.
I’ve used organic free range eggs because they’re the closest thing you can get to real farm eggs. They’re not quite as yellow, but are far superior to other ‘free range’ varieties. In Bondi, my favourite brands are Papanui and Egganic. [Side note: I wouldn’t mind investigating the viability of this sort of agriculture as I’m sure there’s a market for it in Qld. (I can’t find any eggs in Brisbane which compare to these NSW producers)].
Anyway, so that’s about the eggs and to sweeten it up, I mixed a very ripe mashed banana through and scattered the top of the omelette with berries and flaked almonds. After cooking gently until firm…. you then have to quickly gobble it up, before you have you share it. I’ve made this twice now, the second time was on Fathers Day.
Approved by little Mr R, this omelette is also great for toddlers.
- Small heavy based frying/omelette pan*
- Small bowl
*A quality heavy based pan is recommended as this will ensure the omelette cooks through without burning on the base. If you don’t have one and you find that the base cooks before the top, then you can always finish it off under a grill or in the oven.
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- small handful blueberries
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped, mixed through the egg
- Preheat a small frying pan to low heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and cinnamon with a fork.
- Add the mashed banana and mix until evenly combined.
- Add the vanilla if using.
- Pour into the frying pan and scatter strawberries, blueberries and flaked almonds ontop.
- Cook on low heat until firm.
- Serve immediately.