I made these delightful little Banana & Coconut Pikelets to take to a playgroup date this morning and my Little Mr R absolutely devoured them.
I first got the idea after he was positively impressed with my last batch of Paleo Hot Cakes. The Hot Cakes contain raw cacao, which I personally think is a little too strong for little people, so with this recipe, I’ve simply left out the cacao and reduced the size of each to make a batch of 15.
These Banana and Coconut Pikelets are high in protein (from the egg), contain natural sugar (from the banana), and natural fibire (from the banana and shredded coconut).
They are paleo, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free and nut free too.
They are great for childrens’ breakfast and even better packed up for a morning tea or lunchbox snack. They are so natural and so healthy, yet sweet, moist and fluffy. Your little ones will think you’re the bees knees after making these!
They are also super easy, taking only a minute to prepare and several minutes to cook. Try involving your children with the preparation of cracking the egg and mixing the batter – they’ll love it!
Enjoy ! xx
- small mixing bowl and fork
- heavy based frying pan
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coconut oil for frying
- With a fork, mash the banana in the small mixing bowl.
- Add the egg and shredded coconut and mix to combine.
- Preheat a heavy based saucepan to low-medium heat, then add the teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Spoon heaped teaspoons of the mixture into the pan, and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until lightly golden. You will need to cook in two batches.
Store for up to several days in an airtight container in your refrigerator.