I didn’t think I would ever, ever make Kale Chips, let alone Curry Roasted Kale Chips – it sounds odd, but let me assure you, they are so very moorish! Not to mention – Kids LOVE them! (Who would have thought, right?!)
I first made them last week, when I had a lot of Kale leftover but not a lot of time to eat it (we were about to go away for the weekend). So curiosity got the better of me and I whipped up a surprisingly tasty batch of Kale Chips.
Better yet, Little Mr R who is going on 2 and doesn’t give green vegetables the time of day, actually sat there and gobbled down chip after chip – I couldn’t believe it and so I have made three batches since. They’re really great to munch on while you’re cooking dinner too!
So there you go – these Kale Chips as well as being completely moorish and toddler approved are:
- gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, grain free
- paleo, vegetarian, vegan
- rich in Beta-catotene, Vitamin C & Calcium
I have trialled the recipe with both regular curly-green and purple Kale as well as a few different spice blends and our favourite was the mild curry blend. Be sure to choose a curry spice blend which contains only spices (no hidden rice flour or sugar). I also found curly green kale to work better than purple too.
Makes: 1 large bowl
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 baking trays
- large mixing bowl
- 100g (3 cups, firmly packed) Curly Green Kale, leaf only (no stems)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground curry spice blend (aka curry powder)
- 1/2 pinch sea salt
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 120 degrees Celcius and line two baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Tear the Kale leaves into chip size pieces and place in the large mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut oil, ground spice and sea salt and rub with your hands until the kale leaves are evenly coated with oil, spice and salt. They will turn a darker green once this step is complete.
- Spread the kale across the two baking trays and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until crisp. Serve immediately.
Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.