The perfect picnic food: Savoury Paleo Muffins ~ gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, nut free and flavour packed!
These Sweet Potato based Savoury Paleo Muffins are dense with goodness, moist and oh so satisfying. They’re rich in protein from the eggs (1 muffin = 1 egg) and packed with healthy carbohydrates and dietary fibre from the sweet potato. They have a subtle saltiness from the ham, which can be swapped with sautéed bacon or even leftover cooked meat (i.e. leftover roast chicken or lamb). If you prefer a vegetarian version then add half a grated zucchini. The options are endless and you can ultimately use whatever leftovers you have lying about in your fridge.
I made this recipe earlier in the week because I knew I was going to be eating on the run for the next few days. As it turns out we’ve also got a quick interstate trip planned tomorrow, so a couple of these packed in our day bag will be brilliant! – beats the aeroplane menu any day!
So enjoy them on their own, or make them into more of a sit-down meal with a side salad – at home or on a picnic (or on a plane!), these sturdy little guys will travel anywhere. Just remember to keep them chilled and enjoy!
One important tip:
Egg is sticky stuff when cooked. So even if you have a non-stick muffin tray, you must still line each muffin-hole with baking paper or muffin papers, otherwise, the egg will stick and it will be very difficult clean thereafter.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin tray
- 12 eggs
- 400g white or yellow sweet potato, grated
- 60g ham finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a muffin tray with baking paper, cut into squares (1 paper per muffin hole).
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- After grating the sweet potato, squeeze handfuls at a time, over the sink, to remove any excess moisture, before adding to the egg.
- Saute the onion in a frying pan with oil until soft and transparent, then add to the egg mixture, along with the rest of the ingredients. Mix to combine with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into the lined muffin tray and bake for 35 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool before serving.