Superfood rich & utterly delicious
I made this Paleo Panforte Recipe a couple of weeks ago and it turned out really well. It’s free of sugar (except for natural dried dates) and it’s free of grains and dairy too.
A few of the star ingredients include raw nuts, ginger, cacao, coconut oil and dried figs. With ingredients like these, this Paleo Panforte is the perfect concoction of super foods, making it high in calcium, protein and natural fibre, full of antioxidants and with anti-viral and anti fungal properties. Better yet – it tastes delicious, so why not whip up a batch for Christmas. Keep it in the freezer and eat it like a fudge, with your fingers – yum!
If you like this recipe or have any feedback, then please use the comment box below – I’d love to hear for you.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Freezing Time: 1 hour
- Vitamix blender/Food Processor
- mixing bowl
- 20-22cm round cake tin
- 1 cup raw macadamia or cashew nuts (or macadamia nut or cashew nut butter)*
- 1 cup raw almonds (or raw almond butter)*
- 1 dessert spoon mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger or freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup dried dates (Trident is my favourite brand)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, dry roasted**
- 1/4 cup pistachio kernels or almonds, dry roasted**
- 5 large dried figs, hard stem removed and thinly sliced
- extra cacao powder for dusting
*Because Vitamix blenders are so powerful – they will turn the macadamia nuts and almonds into nut butter. If you’re machine doesn’t have this capability, then use nut butter straight up. I really love Artisana and Organic Road isn’t bad nut butter brand either, just don’t use cheap brands as they don’t taste as good – (The Woolworths version of almond butter tastes musty in my opinion).
** To Dry roast the nuts, place them on a lined baking tray (with no oil) and bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Line a 20-22cm cake tin with non-stick paper and set aside.
- In a Vitamix blender or food processor, add the macadamia (or cashew) nuts or macadamia (or cashew) nut butter, almonds or almond butter, mixed spice, ginger, dried dates, coconut oil, raw cacao powder, prunes and coconut cream. Whiz until completely combined. The mixture should be moist and easy to mould.
- Transfer the mixture to a separate mixing bowl, add the roasted hazelnuts, pistachios and the sliced dried figs, mixing to combine.
- Once combined, transfer to the mixture to the cake tin and press down until level and spread to the edges.
- Transfer to the freezer, freezing for 1 hour or until you’re ready to serve, which ever is later.
- Once set, dust with extra cacao powder and slice into wedges to serve.
Store this Paleo Panforte in your freezer and do not let it sit out too long before serving.