Completely Decadent, Completely Guilt Free – Homemade Dark Chocolate
This homemade Dark Chocolate Recipe makes for a perfectly decadent, yet guilt-free treat.
Made with natural, raw ingredients, its free of dairy and refined sugar. There are no emulsifiers or vegetable oils – just pure, health promoting goodness.
This batch comprises cacao butter, coconut oil, carob powder, which is naturally sweet, as well as cacao powder, vanilla and a pinch of salt for flavour enhancement.
If you can locate a chocolate block mould, then the finished product will seem all the more authentic – some tips on that below.
Chocolate Block Moulds
I searched near and far for chocolate block moulds and found the best value for money moulds here on Ebay. If the link won’t work, then search on Ebay Australia for: ” NEW Chocolate Bar Mold Break Apart Choc Block Ice Tray Silicone Cake Bake Mould“.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Setting time: 20 minutes
Makes: Approx 2 blocks (210mm x 105 mm x 8mm)
- 2 shallow chocolate moulds, or any container/baking tin lined with baking paper
- 50g cacao butter
- 70g coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 100g carob powder
- 50g cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
Optional Extras – Flavours & Textures
Personalise your dark chocolate by adding a handful of any or a combination of the following:
- honeycomb, roughly chopped
- turkish delight, roughly chopped
- shredded coconut
- nuts, roughly chopped
- raisins soaked in rum
- dried fruit
- In a double-boiler, melt the cacao butter and coconut oil.
- Remove from the heat, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon until smooth. If it appears thick and grainy, add extra coconut oil, a little at a time, until the desired glossiness is achieved.
- Pour the mixture into two moulds, or spread evenly on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Optional Extras: If you want to add extra flavours and textures, sprinkle onto of the melted chocolate now.
- Transfer to the freezer for at least 20 minutes until set.
This chocolate keeps best refrigerated.