Paleo Date and Carob Slice – Nut Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Refined Sugar Free
With a hankering for something sweet, the other day I whipped up this one-mixing-bowl-wonder, dairy-free, grain-free, nut-free a.k.a Paleo slice for dessert. Although, since that evening, its been my go-to afternoon tea treat too.
Made with dried dates, it’s nice and sweet, but also high in dietary fibre. It provides a reasonable serve of protein as for such a small batch it contains some four eggs and is otherwise pretty simple to prepare with the only other ingredients being shredded coconut and carob powder.
This moist and delicious on-the-go snack, is also suitable for your lunch box because it does not require constant refrigeration. (Being a baked good, it easily keeps it’s form). It’s nut-free, so it is considered school/daycare-lunchbox-safe too.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 1 saucepan & wooden spoon
- 12 x 20 cm loaf tin
- 150g/or 1 cup dried dates
- 125mL/ or 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a 12 x 20 cm loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- To the saucepan, add the dates and boiling water. Stir over medium heat until the water is absorbed and a sticky paste remains. Remove from heat.
- To the same saucepan, add the rest of the ingredients: coconut flour, carob powder, beaten eggs and coconut. Mix with a spoon until uniform in consistency.
- Transfer mixture to the lined loaf tin, pressing into corners, ensuring the surface is level.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool before slicing.
Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Being baked, however, this slice will keep without refrigeration in a lunchbox too.