It’s Decadent… It’s Paleo at it’s finest… It’s Choc Chunk Banana Bread – a dessert-grade winner!
This recipe is an absolute winner. I know this because my husband loves it, my toddler loves it and our guests loved it for morning tea today too.
The ingredients are few, but quality. It’s paleo banana bread at its finest with a little added coconut sugar and some luxurious chunks of dairy-free dark chocolate, just for a bit of added amazing-ness! The results: A sweet, moist and flavour-packed banana and chocolate dream! Albeit ‘banana bread’ by name, it really is a dessert-grade cake.
The photos I’ve used exemplify it’s popularity. I made this particular loaf less than 24 hrs ago and by the time I got my camera out, only this little portion remained!
So about the ingredients – I’ve used almond meal in place of flour. Because almond meal is so deliciously moist (not to mention neutrally flavoured, lending itself suitable to all variety of recipes), I’ve therefore bypassed the requirement of adding oil. I’ll be the first to admit, that from a flavour perspective, there are few decent alternatives to butter, however, in this instance, it doesn’t matter as no oil is required whatsoever (tick!). To cut a long explanation short – there’s no overpowering coconut oil in this one!
I used a small portion of coconut sugar. If you want to omit sugar completely, then do it, but a little just makes it that much tastier and besides, coconut sugar is far better for you than cane sugar, so by having a little every now and then, I can’t see any harm.
I used a dairy-free dark chocolate from the health-food section of Coles. There are so many “healthy” and “raw” chocolates out there these days, just choose one that you like and the rest is easy.
Makes: 1 loaf
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Chopping board & knife
- Mixing bowl & fork
- Loaf tin
- Measuring tsp
- Measuring cup
- 300g peeled bananas (approx 3 bananas)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 85g Dairy-free dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 extra banana to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees Celcius.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Add the eggs and beat with the fork.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the chopped dark chocolate and fold through.
- Transfer the batter to the lined cake tin.
- Slice the extra banana lengthways – you should get about 4 slices and lay across the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until lightly golden and firm to touch.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.