Leftovers Frittata with Zucchini and Herbs: A Perfect Way to Use Leftover Ham, Chicken or Turkey
Dairy free || Gluten Free || Sugar Free || Soy Free || Nut Free || Paleo
I made this Leftovers Frittata recipe earlier this morning using leftover bacon (from a Cauliflower Fried Rice – recipe coming soon!) and leftover tuna, but I really can’t wait to do the same with our Christmas leftovers. At our house, it’s always ham and chicken (or turkey), but leftover pork or any other meat will work perfectly.
The only gooey part of this Leftovers Frittata recipe is the egg. There is no cream, cheese, milk or any other form of dairy or substitute. There is no flour because the egg holds its own, particularly when packed with scrumptious filling.
And that scrumptious filling – it can be whatever you like, but I always recommend using ham or bacon – it adds a certain saltiness, completely eliminating the need for cheese or even salt for that matter, however I’ll leave final seasoning up to you.
I’ve used zucchinis because they go so well in this sort of thing, leeks – but shallots would also work, fresh herbs and loads of them – this is also important as the flavour of the herbs enhance the overall depth of flavour of the frittata, again omitting the need for cheese. I used basil and parsley, but you can mix this up too.
I’ve dotted the top with little cherry tomatoes straight from our garden, however, you could omit the tomato altogether or use larger tomatoes cut into several slices if desired.
It really is a flexible recipe, so if you have any questions about quantities or substitutions then please ask!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- mixing bowl and spoon
- small frying pan and spatula
- tart tin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bacon, or ham
- 1 leek or 6 green shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup, firmly packed chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 2 small zucchinis, grated
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a tart tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In the small frying pan, sauté the leek and bacon (or ham) until tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.
- Add the leek, bacon/ham, chicken/turkey, grated zucchinis and herbs.
- Mix thoroughly and transfer to the lined tart tin, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Scatter the halved cherry tomatoes on the top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until lightly golden and firm to touch.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, or chill before storing/serving.
Store your Leftovers Frittata in an airtight container in the refrigerator.