Paleo Rum and Raisin Ice-Cream: creamy deliciousness without the dairy!
gluten free || sugar free || dairy free || soy free || egg free || paleo || vegan || vegetarian
- a). I’ve been busy; but mainly because
- b). I know they won’t last long if I make them too soon – they are just to die for!
So, in the meantime I’ve been playing around with my rum-soaked raisins and have since come up with this recipe for the most amazing, ever so creamy Paleo Rum and Raisin Ice-Cream, possibly ever.
If you’re anything like me and have a little trouble with ‘portion-control’ – then grab yourself an ice-block mould, so you can have those ‘portions’ sorted! It really does work, plus enhances presentation 100%! I bought mine from Wheel & Barrow. Paddle pop sticks are sold separately and are easily recyclable when washed in the dishwasher.
I’ve got the tick of approval from my dairy-loving husband on these ones, so I’m going to serve them for dessert for our Christmas lunch – why not!? They’ll be the perfect finish to any sweltering Aussie Christmas! With their super healthy ingredients (minus the rum of course), they won’t weigh you down either.
I hope you enjoy this Paleo Rum and Raisin Ice-Cream much as we do, but before I close, just a few quick tips!
- Use a quality Rum. I’m a Queenlander born and bred, so it’s hard for me to pass by Bundaberg Rum.
- Use a quality nut butter. My preference is raw-macadamia, however, cashew would also work as it is also mild in flavour. Artisana is a beautiful brand and quality, but if you want to support a local, then look out for Hand ‘n’ Hoe Organics. Hand ‘N’ Hoe Organic Macadamias is a small Australian family owned business located in the remote, pristine rainforest off the Comboyne plateau, Mid North Coast of NSW, providing 100% organic certified Macadamia Nuts & Macadamia based products.
- Use a quality coconut cream – this means one that is made from 100% coconut extract. Ayam is a great example and is available in all major supermarkets. Ayam Coconut Cream is 100% natural with no preservatives or additives and this premium quality coconut cream really does add the creamy touch which is boasts.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Freezing time: 8 hours, or overnight
- Vitamix/ thermomix or a powerful blender or food processor
- 8-capacity Ice-block moulds
- 3 medium (or 2 large) bananas
- 270 mL can coconut cream
- 1/3 cup macadamia butter (or cashew butter)
- 2/3 cup of rum-soaked raisins (or sultanas), drained*
*Soak 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas in 2 tbsp rum for 4 hours
- Add the bananas, coconut cream and nut butter to a Vitamix or other powerful blender or thermomix.
- Whiz until smooth.
- Add the raisins and stir with a spoon.
- Pour into moulds.
- Freeze for 8 hours/overnight, or until set.
Remove from the moulds and store your Paleo Rum and Raisin Ice-Cream in an airtight container with greaseproof paper between each ice-cream block – in the freezer.