Chocolate Power Muffins – The Healthy Way to Refuel
gluten free || grain free || dairy free || sugar free || paleo || vegetarian
I made these Chocolate Power Muffins yesterday with the initial goal of using-up two very spotty bananas. I’ve already made a Hazelnut Banana Cake this week, so I was keen to try something new and this was the result. I initially titled them, “Chocolate Everything Muffins” on Instagram, because they have just about everything in them, but because of their amazing body-refuelling power, I changed the name to: Chocolate Power Muffins!
These guys are packed with: bananas, carrot, coconut, cacao, eggs, raw honey, coconut oil, hazelnuts, buckwheat and flaxseed. Bananas and raw honey are fab for enhancing sweetness and energy. Eggs squeal protein hit, while the coconut oil and flaxseed are great for keeping your digestive system on track. Coconut is also excellent fibre, while hazelnuts and buckwheat provide a high-grade gluten/grain-free nutrient-dense alternative to wheat flour. There is a lot cacao in these muffins (1 cupful) but it works so well, making them so densely rich and decadent.
Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, I love them. You will love them. So enjoy!
PS. For a nut free option, swap the hazelnut meal for ground sunflower seeds or ground pepitas.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Mixing bowl & fork
- Muffin tray (12 muffin capacity)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
- 1 tsp bicarb-soda
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 papers, or cut 12 squares out of non-stick paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ingredients, one item at a time. Each time you add something new mix thoroughly with a fork until you’ve added everything and the mixture is consistent.
- Spoon into the lined muffin tray (12 muffins in total) and transfer to the oven, baking for 30 minutes, or until firm to touch and smelling delicious.
- Cool on a wire rack before storing or serving.
Store your Chocolate Power Muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator.