Easy Paleo Chicken Wings – Party Food or Family Dinner, it’s a Winner!
paleo || gluten-free || grain free || sugar-free || dairy free|| soy free || egg free
This is an excellent recipe which I’ve made many times now, both as an adult party finger food as well as for a family dinner, paired with a side salad.
Free from additive and sugar dense sauces, I’ve opted to marinate these wings in a delicious mix of spices. None of the spices are hot per se so these wings are just perfect for kids. Instead of using wings, you could also use chicken drumsticks, but cook for 30-40 minutes instead.
Instead of using wings, you could also use chicken drumsticks, but if so, then increase the cooking time to 35 – 45 minutes instead.
Makes: 24 pieces
Preparation time: 5 minutes + 4 hours to marinade (optional)
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- small mixing bowl
- marinating dish
- 2 baking trays, lined with baking paper
- 12 chicken wings, separated at the joint and tips removed**
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
**Using poultry shears, cut the little drumette off. From the remaining section, remove the wing tip (the joint at the other end)… I like to keep my wing tips to use in bone broth. Better yet, get your butcher to do this part for you!
- Combine the spice rub in a bowl, being all ingredients, except the oil.
- Add and coat the chicken pieces in the spice rub. If you have time, allow the chicken pieces to marinate in the spice rub for up to 4 hrs, otherwise, half an hour will suffice.
- Meanwhile, when you’re ready to cook the wings, preheat a fan-forced oven to 210 degrees Celcius.
- Scatter the wings across the two lined baking trays. I recommend using two trays to avoid over-crowding, therefore ensuring a crispy finish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly golden and crispy.
- If they don’t appear crispy enough after 30 minutes, then increase the heat to 220 degrees and cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, with a side salad.