Hazelnut and Cacao Truffles – Gluten Free & Dairy Free
gluten free || dairy free || grain free || egg free || soy free || vegan || paleo || vegetarian
I haven’t made a Truffle or a Bliss Ball in a while, but since we’re picnicing on the Boat tomorrow, then I can’t think of better tucker-box inclusion. I bought myself a new Ninja food processor last week too, so making Hazelnut and Cacao Truffles was the perfect opportunity to really test it out. Cheap as chips, I have to say my new Ninja is about a thousand times better than my KitchenAid food processor, which is now sitting pretty in my Ebay shop window.
These Hazelnut and Cacao Truffles are made with cashews, which are flavour neutral, but nice and creamy, roasted hazelnuts (roasted and with husks removed are definitely the best), Medjool dates, maple syrup and peanut butter, but any nut butter would be fine. I’ve used raw cacao powder for the chocolate touch and vanilla powder which I always find hard to exclude- it’s just so divine and the perfect natural flavour enhancer.
You can’t make this Hazelnut and Cacao Truffle recipe without a food processor unless you buy the nuts already ground -none the less, it would still be quite arduous.
This recipe is free of coconut oil (“Halleluiah!”, I hear all of you coconut oil haters screaming!). It’s also free of grains, gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and cane sugar – boom!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Food processor
- Medium mixing bowl
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, husks removed
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 4 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 extra tbsp raw cacao powder, for dusting
- In a food processor, finely grind the cashews and hazelnuts.
- Add the cacao powder and vanilla and whiz until combined.
- Add the balance of the ingredients, one item at a time and whiz until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into a medium sized bowl and using your hands, mould spoonfuls of the mixture into firm balls.
- Place in a dish with extra cacao powder and roll around until coated.
- Transfer your Hazelnut and Cacao Truffles to the fridge to set firm.
Store Hazelnut and Cacao Truffles in an airtight container in your refrigerator.