Make the most of Winter with these: Orange, Date and Cacao Muffins
Wheat free || Sugar-free || Dairy free || Soy free || Vegetarian || Nut free
Because Australian navel oranges are in season and readily accessible in grocery stores, winter is the perfect time to make my wheat-free, sugar-free and dairy-free Orange, Date and Cacao Muffins.
These Orange, Date and Cacao Muffins are so delicious and because I like to cook in small batches, this recipe makes only five muffins. This ensures your muffins will always be eaten fresh and not lost at the back of your fridge. Primarily, it’s also the safest way to ensure effective portion control! If you wish to make 10 or 15, then just double or triple the ingredients appropriately, meanwhile keeping the cooking time the same.
If you wish to make 10 or 15, then just double or triple the ingredients appropriately, meanwhile keeping the cooking time the same.
These Orange and Date Cacao Muffins are packed with goodness:
- In-season Australian navel oranges
- Chewy and sweet medjool dates
- Antioxidant-packed raw cacao powder
- Organic freerange eggs for protein and binding
- Coconut oil for immunity and baking moisture
- Wholemeal spelt four for unrefined fibre and energy
My tip is to allow them to cool completely and even refrigerate further before eating… they are tastiest chilled!
Makes: 5 muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
- chopping board & knife
- Mixing bowl, whisk and spoon
- measuring cup and spoons
- muffin tray
- 8 medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs (at room temp), whisked
- juice of one orange
- Zest of half an orange
- 1 navel orange, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup Wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1.5 tsp GF baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a muffin tray with 5 muffin papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the coconut oil, orange juice and zest and whisk to combine.
- Swap the whisk for a wooden spoon, then add the balance of the ingredients (except the flour), mixing well with the spoon to evenly combine.
- Lastly fold the flour in gently.
- Using a tablespoon transfer the batter to the five muffin papers.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked, when an insisted skewer comes out clean.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.