Healthy Vegan Banana Bread: It’s Gluten Free & Nut Free too!
vegan || gluten-free || dairy free || egg free || soy free || cane sugar free || nut free
I’ve made a point of calling this Vegan Banana Bread, “Healthy Vegan Banana Bread”, because it’s just that, Healthy!
So many vegan recipes contain gluten and refined sugar, but not this one. Instead I’ve used Brown Rice Flour, Buckwheat Flour and medjool dates and coconut sugar for sweetness. This Healthy Vegan Banana Bread is high in dietary fibre and is super nutritious. Use it as a base recipe and add 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries if you like or 1/4 cup cacao powder for a chocolate version – it’s just divine and is loved in our house by children and adults alike!
A little bit of background – aka why I made a “vegan’ cake recipe
I first made this recipe a couple of months back, when my baby girl was absolutely riddled with eczema (all over her torso!) Ruling out common inflamation-causing culprits such as dairy and gluten, which she was already avoiding 95% of the time, I extended the avoidance zone to also include eggs and nuts. Eggs are all she eats for breakfast so it wasn’t easy. After almost a week – there was no improvement. I had already ruled out washing powder and cleaning products as everything I use is already so back-to-basics/natural and non-allergenic. I then gave consideration to her new found love of strawberries, which I also know to be high in salicylates. She was downing almost a pack a day. So I initiated a total ‘berry ban’. Simultaneously, her skin improved – it was amazing to witness, amazing to find the cause and amazing to know that we could reintroduce her beloved organic free range eggs…. thank god! None-the-less, while we were egg-free, we made this Healthy Vegan Banana Bread and as I mentioned above, it has been a favourite ever since. As a side note, berries are back in our lives, but we just have fewer at a time and everyone’s skin remains perfect!
So remember, if you know anyone with allergies or intolerances to gluten, dairy, eggs or nuts – then this recipe is for them- enjoy!
Makes: 1 loaf
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- mixing bowl
- loaf tin
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, mixed with 3 tbsp filtered water, stir periodically while it thickens (in a cup)
- 350g or 3-4 bananas (weight is without skin)
- 5 medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 4 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (additive free)
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 1 & 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 extra banana to garnish (optional)
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork.
- Once the chia seed and water combination has thickened, add to the banana and keep stirring.
- With the exception of the flour, add the rest of the ingredients, mixing it in with the fork.
- Lastly, add the brown rice flour and buckwheat flour. Fold in the flour in gently. Do not over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined loaf tin and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for one hour or until firm and lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Store your Healthy Vegan Banana Bread, in an airtight container in the refrigerator.