Nut Free Paleo Banana Bread with Barnana Bites & Sunflower Seeds
gluten free || grain free || refined sugar free || dairy free || grain free || paleo || vegetarian
I recently stumbled upon Barnana Bites – admittingly a product from the USA, they are a great little (mess free!!) banana snack. Not something you need to feed your kids everday, obviously the real thing is healthier, but they are fantastic when travelling or in situations where making a mess in less than ideal. While they come in a variety of flavours the simplest and healthiest is the plain version. My little monkeys go crazy over these and I can’t recommend them highly enough.
Recently stumpted with an idea for cooking, I added some to a Banana Bread loaf – it turned out fabulously so I’ve decided to share the recipe but before I do, I’ve included some key points on Barnana Bites.
ALL ABOUT BARNANA BITES
- Crafted from chewy organic bananas that have been dehydrated for consumers to enjoy.
- The dehydration means that the naturally occurring sugars caramelise and condense.
- This bite-sized product is organic, gluten and dairy free and non-GMO.
- Barnana has no refined sugar, preservatives or cholesterol and has 18 months of shelf life.
- The delicious flavours in the range currently include Original, Coconut, Chocolate and Peanut Butter.
- 20 per cent of bananas are wasted at the farm as they don’t meet retailer expectations. Barnana ensures there is zero waste farming by sustainably upcycling these bananas, resulting in additional income for organic banana farmers.
Barnana Products are available at Wholefoods House, independent health food stores and organic grocers. For stockist information, contact (02) 9959 1014. RRP $8.99 per 100g packet for Original and Coconut, $9.99 per 100g packet for Peanut Butter and Chocolate. For even more information on Barnana, visit www.barnana.com
Nut Free Paleo Banana Bread Recipe
Makes: 1 loaf
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hr + 15 mins
- Blender/food processor to grind sunflower seeds
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Loaf tin
- 4 cups sunflower seeds, ground to a fine meal
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp seasalt
- 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 small spotty bananas (or 1 large)
- 1 X 100g packet Barnana Bites, roughly chopped, chopped
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160 degrees and line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, 1 cup at a time, grind the sunflower seeds to a fine meal, similar to almond meal.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground sunflower seeds, cinnamon, baking powder and Vanilla powder. mix to combine, ensuring any clumps are broken down- you might need to use your hands.
- In. Small saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Add the 1/2 cup of honey (or brown rice syrup) and stir to combine.
- Then, in the same blender/food processor (no need for washing), add the eggs and bananas – blitz to combine. Then add the oil and honey mixture and continue to blend on a lower speed until pale and creamy in colour and texture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix to life ther with a spoon until well combined.
- Then, transfer the batter to the lined baking tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour & 15 minutes, or until cooked, when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.