Healthy Rum Ball Recipe: Just 5 Vegan + Paleo Ingredients
vegan || paleo || vegetarian|| grain free || gluten-free || dairy free || soy free || egg free
This is the easiest Healthy Rum Ball Recipe on the planet. It will knock the socks off both the health conscious and skeptics alike. It can be made exactly as per the recipe, or pimped with a coating of your fave raw chocolate – I am absolutely in love with the Loving Earth Range which is 100% dairy and soy free, made with raw cacao and coconut nectar – yum! Just dip your Healthy Rum Balls in some melted Loving Earth Chocolate before you coat them with desiccated coconut …. this will ensure you create a next-level treat!
The base of this Healthy Rum Ball Recipe is made from activated almonds, coconut, dates and coconut oil. I’ve used activated almonds due to their greater digestibility and nutritionally healthy profile. The difference being is that raw/non-activated nuts contain a high volume of phytates which bind to other nutrients, making those nutrients difficult for us to absorb. Activating your nuts (soaking overnight and dehydrating/drying at low heat over a long period) ensures the removal of much of these phytates. Further, the star ingredients, which need no introduction include rum and sultanas (or raisins, or currants) – whichever takes your fancy. Combined, all of these Healthy Rum Ball Recipe ingredients form a light and energising ‘bliss ball’ version of the good old Christmas Rum Ball.
This recipe is best started a day ahead as the sultanas require soaking in rum overnight. If you can’t wait a whole day, then give them at least 4 hrs!
Preparation time: Overnight or 4hrs soaking + 20 minutes assembly
Setting time: at least 4 hrs
- food processor
- measuring cups + spoons
- 2 cups activated almonds OR raw almonds
- 1/2 cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- 8 Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- extra coconut for dusting
- OPTIONAL – Extra Drizzle: 100g block Loving Earth Chocolate, melted
- 1 cup preservative free & vege-oil-free raisins (or sultanas or currants) soaked in a few tbsp of rum overnight (OR for at least 4 hrs)**
**I like to use Australian brand, “Bundaberg Rum”
- After you’ve soaked the raisins/sultanas in rum, drain them (save the rum for something else) and set them aside.
- In the food processor, add the activated almonds and desiccated coconut. Whiz until a fine nut meal results.
- Then, add the Medjool dates and melted coconut oil. Whiz until the dates are completely broken down and the mixture is combined evenly.
- Then pour into a mixing bowl with the rum-soaked sultanas. Mix together with a spoon or fork.
- Form heaped spoonfuls of the mixture into tight balls and place in the fridge to firm-up. Once firm, roll in desiccated coconut, OR roll in melted Loving Earth Chocolate before rolling in the extra desiccated coconut.
Store your Healthy Rum Balls in an airtight container in your fridge.