The Best Guilt-free Christmas Treat: Sour Cherry and Pistachio Chocolate Slab
vegan || paleo || gluten free || grain free || dairy free || egg free || soy free || vegetarian
This Sour Cherry and Pistachio Chocolate Slab not only looks, smells and tastes good, but it’s full of the healthiest raw ingredients and is designed to enhance one’s health, rather than deplete it. It’s Paleo and Vegan meaning no grains, dairy, soy or eggs. Commercially produced chocolates containing high levels of refined sugar, soy and dairy are pro-inflammatory, but would my Sour Cherry and Pistachio Chocolate Slab do that to you? Hell no – there’s nothing that’s going to make you feel bad in this guilt-free bad boy!
This Sour Cherry and Pistashio Chocolate Slab is so healthy, it’s hard to believe it’s chocolate. It’s packed with antioxidants from the raw cacao and it is easier to digest, due to the nuts being activated (removal of phytates (aka anti-nutrients) during activation, prevents those anti-nutrients binding to other good nutrients, thus enhancing nutrient absorption).
So why not make a batch for dessert, scatter on a fruit platter, break into smaller pieces and present as an edible Christmas gift in recycled jars – the options are endless!
Makes: 20cm x 30cm block
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Setting time: 2 hours
- 20cm x 30cm baking tray with shallow sides
- Double-Boiler: (to melt cacao butter):
- Non-reactive mixing bowl (glass or ceramic) (The bowl must be wider than the top of the saucepan)
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Kitchen scales
- Measuring cup and spoons
- 250g cacao butter, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt (OR Himalayan salt)
- 100g (2/3 cup) activated pistachio nuts
- 3/4 cup dried sour cherries
- Line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- To create a double-boiler, to melt the cacao butter: Place the saucepan on the stove with 2 inches of water. Bring to a very gentle simmer, before reducing the heat lower, below the simmer.
- Place the non-reactive bowl on top of the saucepan, ensuring that there are no gaps at the sides and ensure that the base of the bowl is above and not touching the water level.
- Then add the raw cacao butter to the bowl. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat and keep stirring until all of the cacao butter has melted. Low heat (circa 40 degrees Celcius) is best so it might take 5 minutes or more at a low gentle heat. Be patient. If the cacao butter appears to be melting very quickly, then remove the bowl from the saucpan and keep stirring on the benchtop.
- Once melted, remove the bowl from the saucepan. (You no longer need the saucepan).
- To the bowl, add the cacao powder, carob powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Stir gently and constantly with the wooden spoon until all of the ingredients is evenly combined. Adding these ingredients should cool the chocolate further and it should now be ready to pour.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the lined baking tray.
- On top of the chocolate mixture, scatter the pistachios and sour cherries, ensuring they are easily distributed.
- Transfer to the fridge, allowing to set for a minimum of two hours.
- Once set, use a sharp knife to cut into peices.
Store your Sour Cherry and Pistachio Dark Chocolate Slab in an airtight container in your refrigerator -it will last for ages!