Raw Chocolate Coated Rice Cakes ~ Healthy Kids Treat
Vegan || Vegetarian || Gluten Free || Dairy Free || Nut Free || Soy Free || Egg Free
I made these mega-amazing Raw Chocolate Coated Rice Cakes for my son’s morning tea function at school during the week. From all reports, they were an absolute hit – (Target audience was 25 x three to five year old boys!)… there was not a crumb left.
This recipe is inspired by some ‘Dark Chocolate Coated Rice Cakes’, which I found in the health food store recently. I bought them as a one-off ‘treat’. My children approved so I thought I’d make my own version which is healthier because this recipe is:
- made with Loving Earth Chocolate: (raw chocolate with no nasty ingredients), which is:
- Soy free (most standard commercial chocolate contains Soy)
- refined cane-sugar free (most standard commercial chocolate contains Cane Sugar)
- The have added Fibre and Healthy Fat from the Shredded Coconut
- They are preservative free – be sure to choose preservative-free shredded coconut
So there you go – what’s not to love about these? Kids think they are ‘fun’ and they get eaten VERY quickly. Your kids shouldn’t react with crazy highs or bad behaviour, because there aren’t any nasty additives and they are soooooo easy to make. Win, Win, Win!
For the record, I used Loving Earth Creamy Coconut Mylk Chocolate, which is made with:
- Amazonico Criollo Certified Organic Raw Cacao (47%) from Satipo, Peru,
- Organic Coconut
- Organic Evaporated Coconut Nectar
You can find this Loving Earth product in most health food stores, gourmet supermarkets and online. Checkout the Loving Earth website for info and shop online here. You can also source quality shredded coconut from Loving Earth too – talk about a one stop shop! Warning – some of Loving Earth’s raw chocolate flavours do contain nuts. So if nuts are an issue, then do beware.
So try this recipe on your kids and please let me know what you think – I’d love to hear your feedback.
Makes: 28 raw chocolate coated rice cakes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 10 minutes
- Double boiler (mixing bowl above saucepan- no gaps at the sides)
- Baking tray, lined with baking paper
- measuring cup
- wooden spoon
- 28 mini rice cakes, or 3 to 4 large rice cakes, broken into peices
- 1 x 80g block Loving Earth “Creamy” Mylk Chocolate (or flavour of your choice)
- 1/2 cup preservative-free shredded coconut
If required: This recipe can be made one day ahead.
- In the double boiler (bowl over the saucepan with water), melt the chocolate gently, all the time mixing with the wooden spoon.
- Once the chocolate has melted, turn off the heat.
- One by one, dip the rice cakes into the chocolate, to coat one side only. Place on the baking paper and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Transfer the baking tray to your fridge to allow the chocolate to set for approximately 10 minutes, or until firm and dry.
- Once the chocolate has set, serve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
THIS BLOG IS NOT SPONSORED – I’VE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH LOVING EARTH PRODUCTS THROUGH MY OWN DISCOVERIES ~ IT’S MY PLEASURE TO SHARE AND RECOMMEND MY FAVOURITE INGREDIENTS!