Grain & Nut Free: Coconut Crunch Porridge is set to Impress!
Vegan || Paleo || Grain/Gluten Free || Dairy Free || Egg Free || Soy Free || Nut Free
What is Coconut Crunch!?
Coconut Crunch is a natural product derived from coconut flesh which has been air-dried after the extraction of extra virgin coconut oil. Coconut crunch has a rich, nutty coconut taste and a crunchy texture. It is marketed as being perfect as a healthy breakfast cereal, which I can highly vouch for in this Coconut Crunch Porridge recipe. It’s also able to be used in baking (Exciting! let me get back to you on that one!). There are lots of brands which package and sell coconut crunch. If you can’t source it then order Coconut Crunch online or ask your local health food store to stock it.
What about Medjool Dates
Medjool dates vs. regular dried dates are what I like to call, nature’s candy. Seriously! They are plump, soft and sweet. Freeze them and they’re chewy too! Delicious on their own and an absolutely fantastic choice of sweetener in any dish, savoury or sweet. Just look at the photo below – it’s the plantation stunning!?
To this Coconut Crunch Porridge recipe, Natural Delight Medjool Dates add a sweet caramel-like element. The best part is that unlike refined sugar, Medjool Dates are a whole food. This means that they are packed with nutrients. They are a natural plant-based food, straight from nature, made up of dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals. Their composition ensures a slow energy release, categorising them as being low glycemic too. If that’s not enough then I can tell you that Medjool Dates are also packed with potassium which is excellent for post-workout recovery – a bowl of this porridge post-workout? Yes Please!
Sourcing Quality Ingredients
Unfortunately neither coconuts or Medjool Dates are grown commercially in Australia (to my knowledge!?), however, if you undertake brand and product research, you’ll hopefully find coconut products which are organic and which contain only coconut – no added preservatives. Many coconuts are grown not far from our shores in locations such as Fiji, Vanuatu and southeast Asian islands nations.
As for Medjool Dates, I’ve learnt that the Natural Delight brand have a superbly sustainable operation in Arizona, USA. I am so impressed by their key program elements by which they:
- Don’t use pesticides on their plantation
- Reuse palm trimmings for mulch
- Are Non-GMO verified
- Have conventional AND organic product
- Use drip irrigation to conserve water
- Have 100% traceability and a high level of quality control because they don’t buy or sell dates outside of their co-op
So if you’re like me and don’t like buying non-Australian produce, then you can rest easy because Natural Delights Medjool Dates are planted, nurtured, packed and handled with the utmost care and quality control. So as far as I’m concerned organic coconuts, coconut products and Medjool dates, are definitely a purchasing(-outside-of-Australia) exception I am happy to make.
So here is my recipe for Coconut Crunch Porridge!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Small Saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cup
- 1/3 cup coconut crunch
- 1 tbsp whole linseeds/flaxseeds
- 2 Natural Delight Medjool Dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk (nut milk/coconut milk or water)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- extra coconut crunch to garnish
- extra milk to serve
Optional Extra Ingredients
- 1/2 banana sliced
- pinch vanilla bean powder or 1/4 vanilla bean scraped
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add the coconut crunch, linseeds, Natural Delight Medjool Date and nut milk (or water).
- Add the optional spices if using (vanilla, cinnamon and/or nutmeg).
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, until the Coconut Crunch Porridge reaches a gentle simmer.
- Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes until the liquid is further absorbed and the Coconut Crunch Porridge thickens.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl. Sprinkle with blueberries and extra coconut crunch and nut milk.
- Serve immediately.