Deliciously Vegan: Matcha and Medjool Date Latte
Made like a smoothie, warmed like a Latte!
vegan || vegetarian || paleo || gluten free || dairy free || refined sugar free || soy free || egg free
This Matcha and Medjool Date Latte recipe provides a fabulously delicious way to enjoy green tea in a sweet and creamy latte without inflammatory dairy milk and without refined and inflammatory sugar.
Swap Coffee for Matcha
When it comes to having a ‘coffee break’ these days, we’re ditching the coffee which can cause all sorts of issues with blood sugar. Yep, even if you don’t add sugar, coffee alone can affect your blood sugar and central nervous system – I’ve experienced it first-hand but that’s a blog for another day, let’s learn more about matcha.
Matcha green tea has been around for centurie and is grown under special conditions and then stone ground into a powdered form. When teamed with a healthy diet and lifestyle, Matcha health benefits can include:
- increased focus and concentration
- higher energy levels
- enhanced metabolism
- stronger immune system
- clearer skin
- generally improved wellbeing
Matcha is packed with:
- Antioxidants – killing free radicals. Great anti-cancer food!
- Theanine – makes you alert without giving you the caffeine shakes and jitters!
- Caffeine: for the caffeine sensitive like me: They say that 1 gram of matcha contains about 25-30mg of caffeine (vs regular coffee with up to 80-100mg). Phew- no shakes or jitters with a dose this small!
- Vitamins and Minerals – way more than regular green tea!
You can buy 100% pure organic Japanese Matcha Green Tea from various health food stores and Matcha Maiden here.
Swap Dairy Milk for Coconut Milk
- We’re ditching dairy because dairy milk is, if put simply, for dairy calves.
- Coconut milk on the other hand, is a beautiful plant based alternative, which is generally less likely (than dairy and nut-milks) to cause food intolerance or allergenic reactions.
- You can purchase fabulous Australian-made coconut milk brands which are without nasty additives, such as Inside Out. You can also make your own coconut milk by blitzing preservative-free dried coconut flesh with filtered water and straining through a nut milk bag. Make it deliciously sweet and flavoursome by adding a medjool date when you do!
- Please don’t use canned Coconut milk – you’ll likely find that it’s far too rich. If this is your only option then reduce the richness and thickness by blending to a desired consistency with filtered water first.
Swap Sugar for Natural Delight Medjool Dates
Medjool dates (vs. just any date) are always fresh, plump and juicy. You’ll find them in the refrigerated part of the fresh produce section of your grocer. Because they are grown in Arizona in the USA, you’ll never find them at your local farmers market in Australia, however, knowing that Natural Delight have sustainable growing practices and have banned all pesticides on their conventional and organic acerage (over 8,000 acres combined!!), then I feel confident in buying these naturally decadent and delicious imported dates!
Medjool Dates are so much better than nutrient-deficient refined sugar because:
- Medjool Dates contain complex carbs, which provide energy our body craves and needs.
- They have dietary fiber, which slows the absorption of these natural sugars.
- Natural Delights are a low-glycemic food. No added sugars, no problem.
- No sugar spikes means no crash. It’s energy that lasts.
- Medjool dates contain 50% more potassium by weight than bananas – Potassium is your body’s recovery partner -perfect if you love to work out!
You can find Australian Natural Delight Medjool date stockists here. A photo of the gorgeous plantation is below.
Preparation time: 3 minutes
- Small saucepan
- Cup + teaspoon
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Natural Delight Medjool Date (vs. just dates)
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blitz to combine.
- Then, pour the mixture into the small saucepan and stir gently over medium heat until perfectly warm/hot/ready to drink!
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Matcha Facts, quoted from: Matcha Maiden https://www.matchamaiden.com/products/matcha-maiden-mix-n-matcha
Medjool Date Facts, quote from: Natural Delights http://www.naturaldelights.com.au