Salted Snickers Bliss Balls ~ Vegan | Paleo
Vegan || Paleo || Gluten/Grain Free || Dairy Free || Refined Sugar Free || Soy Free || Egg Free
What do you think of when you read the words: ‘Snickers’ bar?
For me, it’s a variety of thoughts. On the positive side it’s: Chocolate, Caramel and Peanuts. How good!? But on the flip side, it’s: wheat glucose, vegetable oil, dairy, soy, energy highs and crashes, sore tummies, sugar spikes, nutrient deficient-calories, heart palpitations, anxiety, snappy behaviour and impatience…. gosh, I really don’t do well eating refined sugar and you know what, nor does most of the population, they just don’t recognise these symptoms as having anything to do with the very food they are fuelling themselves with. That, however, is a rant for another day.
So here is the deal. How about we keep themes of Chocolate, Caramel and Peanuts, but ditch the negative side-affects, which we can easily do by omitting the inflammatory ingredients (vegetable oil, wheat, refined glucose sugar, dairy and soy). This is exactly what I’ve done to makes these Salted Snickers Bliss Balls.
These Salted Snickers Bliss Balls feature only the most delicious whole-foods ingredients as follows:
- Peanut butter – be sure to choose a brand which contains 100% Australian peanuts and NOTHING else
- Natural Delights medjool dates – Not to be confused with dried dates – Medjool dates, which are naturally high in potassium, qualifying these Salted Snickers Bliss Balls as being up there with the best of post-workout snacks. They are low GI too!
- Shredded (or desiccated) coconut – look for 100% coconut and avoid brands that contain preservatives (aka anything with a “200” number)
- Cacao powder – is high in antioxidants – the perfect gear to knock out those free radicals which can cause premature ageing
- Raw honey – natures medicine. Raw honey is proven to be anti-microbial and is excellent on a sore throat or to heal a wound. Australian tea-tree honeys or New Zealand Manuka honey (related to Aussie tea trees) is the best you can get when it comes to medicinal value. Honey also adds that bit of extra sweetness too.
- Coconut oil – this versatile oil is great for your body inside and out with antiviral properties to boot!
- Celtic Sea salt – is that sticky, grey salt that you see in the health food shop. Its loaded with healthy minerals and therefore, is actually good for your wellbeing! (Not to be confused with refine white table salt!)
So that’s my Salted Snickers Bliss Balls – if they consequently sound great to you, then scroll down for the recipe and enjoy!
Makes: 8 large or 12 small balls
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: At least 4 hours
- Food processor
- Your hands!
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 8 Natural Delights medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup shredded (or desiccated) coconut
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- Extra cacao for dusting
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. Blitz until perfectly combined and a dough-like consistency is formed.
- Shape the mixture into either 8 golf-sized balls or 12 slightly smaller balls.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours until set firm.
- Keep chilled and serve as required.
Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.