The GF Triple Chocolate Brownie ~ for the Serious Chocaholic
gluten free || wheat free || soy free || vegetarian || nut free
This GF Triple Chocolate Brownie recipe is an adaption of a very delicious, yet very unhealthy chocolate brownie recipe that I came across online recently. To make it healthier I:
- reduced the volume of sugar
- swapped the white cane sugar for coconut sugar
- changed the wheat our with gluten-free our, and
- substituted the butter with coconut oil
These methods can be applied to just about any mainstream recipe to make it more healthy, so keep these easy swaps in mind next time you want to adjust a recipe yourself.
So there you have it, a GF Triple Chocolate Brownie recipe that is so rich and decadent it will make you feel giddy! You can serve the brownies warm or chill them in the fridge to allow the chewy fudginess to really develop. It does have a lot more sugar than I’d usually like to use in everyday cooking, so be sparing with serves and perhaps keep this recipe for special occasions only. One last tip: it’s a winner with vanilla bean ice-cream too!
Makes: 20 serves
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
- Small saucepan & wooden spoon
- Mix-master OR electric hand beater & spatula
- 22cm square cake tin
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 250g chopped butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1.25 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminium free bi-carb soda
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- 100g milk chocolate, chopped
- 100g chopped nuts (try hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans or macadamias)
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160°C.
- Grease and line the cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the first 200g of dark chocolate and coconut oil and place over low heat, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool (cooling will prevent the chopped chocolate pieces from melting in later steps).
- In the bowl of a Mixmaster, add eggs and coconut sugar, beating until light and fluffy;
- One at a time to the egg and sugar mixture:, add the cooled melted chocolate and coconut oil, raw cacao powder, gluten-free flour and aluminium-free bi-carb soda, all the while mixing gently to combine.
- With a wooden spoon, gently combine the chopped extra dark, milk and white chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
Store your GF Triple Chocolate Brownie in an airtight container in the refrigerator.